May 22, 2010
How embarrassing! I updated the website but forgot to upload it! Duh!
The most important thing I want to share with my friends is that I have started writing articles for the CASTO CONNECTIONS NEWSLETTERS again and the latest issue (#26) will be release shortly—electronic version only! I don’t have time to maintain a subscriber mailing list and track who has paid and who has not so I’ll just write and upload them here! I will follow a very similar format as what I used before—a couple of articles on Casto related research, reader responses and queries, etc. So please help me out by sending me article requests—what would be useful to you—brick walls, and most importantly, feedback and input so we can get interaction going between researchers across the country. One of the greatest achievements, at least in my humble opinion, of the whole Casto Connections endeavor has been the ability to connect researchers with other people working on the same line. In this electronic age with communication much easier than it was 13 years ago, we will be utilizing all avenues—website, Facebook, and even a chatroom to get people really excited and motivated about their Casto research.
The upcoming issue will feature two articles about recent cases I have worked on mixed in with tips on how to use the same techniques to work on your own genealogy—Castos and all those other lines.
In other Casto news, I was saddened to hear of the death of Okey L. Casto of Scott Depot, West Virginia. His great-nephew, Chris Casto, past the obituary along for our obituary section but I thought I would post it here first along with our condolences to all of Okey’s family:
Okey L. Casto, 84, of Scott Depot passed away Friday, May 7, 2010, at CAMC Memorial Hospital, Charleston.
Born March 12, 1926, in Staats Mill, Jackson County, he was a son of the late Ola and Cora Rhodes Casto.
He retired from Columbia Gas Company with 37 years of service. He was a Christian and a member of Judson Baptist Church, Bill's Creek, Winfield, where he was a past deacon, trustee, and a member of the cemetery committee. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II, earning two bronze stars, combat infantry badge and several other commendations. He served in France, Germany, and participated in the crossing of the Rhine River at Remagen. He was also a member of the Washington Masonic Lodge No. 58 A.F. & A.M, St. Albans, Scottish Rite and Beni Kedem Shrine, both of Charleston. He was a past patron of the Order of the Eastern Star, No. 153, Nitro, and the White Shrine of Parkersburg, a member of VFW, St. Albans, and a member of the NRA.
Okey is survived by his loving wife of 51 years, Garnett L. Booth Casto; son and daughter-in-law, Allan and Lois Casto of Scott Depot; sister, Lorena Penland of Laurel, Md.; brothers, Glenver Casto and Russell Casto, both of Ripley. Also surviving are two loving grandsons, Zach and Micah Casto.
Funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, May 11, 2010, at Bartlett-Chapman Funeral Home, St. Albans, with the Rev. H. B. White Jr. and the Rev. Fred McCallister officiating. Burial will be in Cunningham Memorial Park, St. Albans, with military honors and Masonic rites.
Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at the funeral home, where an Order of the Eastern Star service will be held at 7:30 p.m.
Online condolences may be made at www.bartlettchapmanfuneralhome.com.
Bartlett-Chapman Funeral Home, 409 Sixth Avenue, St. Albans, is in charge of arrangements.
Well, I’m going to get busy writing—stay tuned for updates!
Until Next Time,
Danita
In the Casto Connections Newsletters, I would like to see continued updates on the Y-DNA Casto studies.
ReplyDeleteMy mtdna brick wall is the mother of Phoebe Gandy Casto, Mrs. Thomas Gandy, Jr. Since I match 3 people still living in Finland on HVR2, there seems to be suggestions that Mrs. Thomas Gandy, Jr. was from the New Sweden area, which was closeby to where Thomas Gandy, Jr. (1695 - 1748)lived. New Sweden had many people of Finnish lineage.